moths GEHP: owl eyed moth

Mike Soukup mikayak at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 24 09:25:11 EDT 1997

No, Caligo's aren't found in Louisiana (unfortunately).  And, io's are
very common down there.  But, another possibility would be the
Polyphemus (A. polyphemus).  I HAVE heard them referred to at some point
in my distant past as "owl-eyed moths".  But, like Chris said.....Break
out the old Herbert S. Zim intro to moth book and you should be able to
find it there.  But, if it was "mostly yellow" and less than 4"
wingspan, it was probably an io (Automeris io).  If it was mostly tan or
brown and 4" or larger, it was probably a polyphemus.  Both are
beautiful moths and I would bet that 90% of the population of the USA
doesn't know they exist!
Enjoy
--
Mike Soukup