Help with Butterfly-predacious Hornets

jhimmel at connix.com jhimmel at connix.com
Mon Oct 27 09:45:03 EST 1997

On a similar note - I think it's interesting the role wasps and hornets play in
lepidotera - especially at my blacklight sheet.  When I first started doing
this, toward the middle of the summer I began to notice piles of wings all over
the ground by the sheet.  At first, I attributed it the Tufted Titmice, who had
found an easy morning meal waiting for them(I have to keep moving my site to
stay ahead of them).  But it turns out to have been Bald-faced Hornets.  They
grab the moth, fly to a nearby branch where they strip off the wings and fly off
with it.  One of my more upsetting finds were a pair of body-less Promthea
wings.  The Yellow Jackets, who become a big problem later in the summer and
early fall, grab and sting the moth and fly off with it intact.

And then there are the larvae attackers.  One afternoon I noticed mud packed in
the open end of my butterfly net, which was left outdoors.  When I tapped it on
the stoop, 35 geometrid larvae fell out of the end - alive, but paralyzed. On
another occasion, I watched a large wasp try to drag a huge sphingid larva into
a hole in the dirt.  It landed on the ground with the larva, set it down, moved
a pebble that was covering a hole(after a thirty second search for it), and
enlarged the hole (which was necessary).  It tried to drag the larva into the
hole, but it was still too big.  It enlarged the hole some more, finally dragged
it down, and replaced the pebble!

Ah, the lovely horrors in nature..

John Himmelman, CT USA
jhimmel at connix.com