Agave worm

Dr. James Adams JADAMS at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Wed Oct 29 09:36:54 EST 1997

In reference to the agave worm:

Daniel Glaeske suggested that it might be in the genus Aegiale.  Anne
Kilmer stated that the species was Megathymus yuccae.  Sorry, Anne,
but it is unlikely to be Megathymus yuccae.  The genus Megathymus
typically has larvae that bore in *Yucca* (hence the specific epithet
mentioned above).  My thoughts are that it is probably in the genus
Agathymus (still in the family Megathymidae [or sumbfamily
Megathyminae, depending on who you talk to]), as members of this
genus (Agathymus) typically have larvae that bore in Agave.  Daniel's
idea of checking James Scott's book is a good idea.  My apologies in
advance to Anne if it turns out she was right!!

    James Adams