What's this on my bananas?

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Sat Sep 6 12:29:41 EDT 1997

>PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY
>
>I bought a bunch of bannanas, in Morrisons (Chorley) today (Del Monte
>brand)
>
>There is a cocoon/egg attached to the centre of the bunch.
>
>It is oval shaped.
>
>15mm long
>
>10mm dia
>
>Brown in colour and fastened by what looks like a mucose covered silk webb.
>
>Any ideas

Sounds a bit like a Limacodid (Slug Moth) pupa to me - we get 'em like that
here in Brazil on Musaceae. Phenomenal garish-colored larvae, and the
adults tend to have bright green wings. I've got a pile in diapause I'm
waiting for even now.

Peace,

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 031-448-1223, fax: 031-44-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/