Butterflies and Homo sapiens, and E Dickinson

Ron Royer royer at warp6.cs.misu.nodak.edu
Wed Sep 10 09:36:30 EDT 1997

Pursuant to both the present line of conversation about butterflies and _H.
sapiens_ and Mark Walker's comments re/ Emily Dickinson, I offer the
following loosely translated quotation:

"Once upon a time, I, Chuang Tzu, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering
hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was
conscious only of following my fancies as a butterfly, and was unconscious
of my individuality as a man. Suddenly I awakened, and there I lay, myself
again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a
butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man."

     __       __
    /  \     /  \    Ronald Alan Royer
   |   o\\ //o   |   Professor in the Division of Science
    \____\o/____/    Minot State University, Minot ND 58707
    /    /O\    \    701-858-3209 (Desk), 3161 (Office)
    \_  / | \  _/    701-839-6933 (FAX)
    '\\/     \//'    <royer at warp6.cs.misu.nodak.edu>

"There be insects with little hornes proaking out before their eyes,
but weak and tender they be, and good for nothing; as the butterflies."

                                -- Pliny, as quoted by W. J. Holland