Irish caterpillars

Michael Healy MJRHEALY at compuserve.com
Tue Sep 16 13:53:44 EDT 1997

Can anyone help me with the identities of two large caterpillars seen on a
recent walking holiday in co Kerry (strongly recommended, by the way -
contact GoIreland, Killorglin)?  I do not have access to an appropriate
reference book at present.
The first was about 8cm long by 1cm, grey with a small 'tail' and two very
prominent 'eyes' on either side behind the head.  The other was larger,
maybe 10cm long, coloured brown on yellow rather like an old-fashioned
humbug.  I don't suppose they are anything out of the way, but they were
certainly impressive.
Michael Healy