'Endangered' Luna Moths

Chuck Vaughn aa6g at aa6g.org
Tue Sep 16 17:59:54 EDT 1997

Chris Raper wrote:

> If there are no lunas within 300 miles of Chicago it would suggest to
> me that they have either suffered from _massive_ habitat loss, a
> devistating foreign disease or they simply don't live there because
> the conditions have never been right :-\

300 miles must be an exaggeration because a 300 mile radius from Chicago
extends into several states. Has anybody placed a captive female outside
to see if any males arrive?

Some recent experiences have led me to believe there must quite a bit
more lepidoptera activity around my area than I ever thought.

I've lived in the same place in the southeast part of the San Francisco
Bay area for 13 years and I had never seen an adult polyphemus nor
could I find a cocoon in the winter even though I knew which trees to look
on. Two years ago I started raising some polyphemus and placed the females
in cages outside. I was amazed to see how easy it was to attract wild males!
Last year I had a cat that got wise to what was going on and killed six
males in one night. Apparently the moths are common but well hidden.

Late last winter I planted four fennel plants in my yard with hopes of
attracting Anise Swallowtails. I knew they were around because I've seen
them for years at local park about 3 miles from my house but I had never
seen one in my immediate neighborhood. By observing the plants almost
everyday I can say that I had 12 to 15 female Anise Swallowtails lay eggs
on my plants during the course of the Spring and Summer. At one point I
had about 50 eggs on the plants. I did manage to observe 4 females
oviposting but I never saw the others and I still have never spotted one
flying around the neighborhood.

I also planted a Passion Vine for Gulf Fritillaries. I had not seen one
within 10 miles of my house ever and there was no activity during the
summer the best I could tell. But two days ago I looked out the window
and there was a female ovipositing on the plant. I don't where she came
from but she found my plant.

The strangest experience occurred last June when I had a female Cecropia
confined to a cage outside. She attracted a male Ceanothus moth!

All this makes me wonder how much lepidoptera activity goes unnoticed
even by those of us who are looking for it.

Chuck Vaughn  <aa6g at aa6g.org>