"africanized bees" (Re: Insects not "lower animals"?)

Gitanomad gitanomad at aol.com
Wed Sep 17 00:52:06 EDT 1997

In article <b03c38bd010210049664@[150.164.24.214]>,
dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br wrote:

>If this sort of thing was an
>inevitable result of information and technology, we'd have had a lot more
>"teen chemical hackers" blowing up themselves and their houses
>experimenting with explosives, burning themselves to cinders, or poisoning
>themselves with nerve gases and the like for the last several decades.

Uh, I hate to tell you, but we've had about three incidences of such
explosions caused by experimenting teenagers over the last decade or so
here in the Washington, DC area.  An explosion such as that is a one-time
incident; a genetic experiment gone awry has the potential to replicate
itself ad infinitum.  Not that I believe it's likely, mind you, but would
you have predicted teenagers on internet newsgroups fifty years ago?