Luna Moths and habitat

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 17 14:14:47 EDT 1997

The "conventional wisdom" I've heard repeated often in the past is that
Luna Moths and many other species have gotten scarce because of light
pollution intfering with behavior patterns or luring them to death.  It
certainly is scarce in central New Jersey, although occasionally we
attract it to lights.  Have others heard this?  I must say that it's
easy to forget how much we miss a really dark night sky here in the
megalopolis.  I didn't realize that I haven't seen the Milky Way for
years until we were camping out in northern Tanzania last month.  It's
enough to make you believe in light pollution.

Mike Gochfeld