direct scanning of bugs

Shueyi at aol.com Shueyi at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 10:04:33 EDT 1997

<<
< I tried scanning in a moth (Feltia jaculifera) on the flatbed direct -
< with impressive results!  Simply put it in a unit tray, turned it upside
< down on the flatbed and fired.
<  The background is grey, but not bad at all!  A bit of manipulating with
< the software to brighten everything up and it was better (well, at least as
< good as) than a lot of the jpeg photos I have seen.  It is not as crisp as
< some other methods, but planty good enough for some applications.  For
< example, the images come out much better say many of the B&W images in
< Covell (the poorer darker issue), or the color plates in "Cutworms of
< Ontario and Quebec."
< Should be great for numerous applications .. and with a bit of
< experimentation it can probably be improved even more so.  Hey, I'm exited.
<  After spending yesterday photographing, waiting for developing and paying
< for same, coming home and scanning in photo's - I like what this can do.
< Thanks for the idea!!

 <Gary Anweiler

This raises some pretty interesting ideas.  For example, could I build plates
out of individually scanned specimens?  Could these be printed in high enough
quality for a professional publication?  Can I scan a pinned lep at 300 dpi,
reduce it 50% and have a 600 dpi image?

Mostly what I'm thinking about here is a ongoing project that I have in the
works for a large reserve in Belize.  The known butterfly fauna is about 350
species, but we add 20-30 new species with every visit.  So, could I develop
a series of individual files of the 350 species known so far, add the
additional species as we get them , and then assemble plates at some future
cut-off date?  Andf then could this produce a publishable plate?

John Shuey
TNC