other arrests!

lday at iquest.net lday at iquest.net
Tue Sep 23 11:13:42 EDT 1997

>I, too, am against commercialized exploitation of Leps and other fauna.  It is
>very bad for my hobby.  But you haven't made an exception for non-exploitive or
>non-commercial collecting of common species by amateur hobbyists like me.  Can
>you explain?  Can you justify?

>To be on the safe side. If for no other reason than the only assurance
>anyone has that you are NOT a commercial dealer is your word.

Not true, the collector could show the authorities what s/he took before
leaving the country.
It really does seem odd to me that Brazil doesn't want people taking
*any* butterflies at all.  Like if someone from France came to visit
and collected some monarchs and sulfurs and stuff here, what dif could
it possibly make?

Liz Day

LDAY at iquest.net
Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA, 40 N latitude, zone 5.
Home of "Fred", the oldest living regal moth pupa.
http://www.iquest.net/~lday