? larval food plant

Jason J. Dombroskie jason at mv.igs.net
Tue Sep 23 15:44:24 EDT 1997

Anthony Thomas wrote:

> Does anyone know the larval food plant(s) of Hyppa xylinoides?  The 2nd.
> gen. is flying now in Atlantic Canada and I have a female that is laying
> eggs. Presumably these will produce pupae this Fall. There hardly seems to
> be enough time for this process. The 1st gen flies in eary Summer so I
> can't see how this species can overwinter as anything but a pupa; perhaps
> as a late-instar larva?
>
> Tony
>
> Dr. A.W. Thomas
> Canadian Forest Service-Atlantic Forestry Centre
> Natural Resources Canada
> P.O. Box 4000
> Fredericton
> New Brunswick
> E3B 5P7
>
> e-mail athomas at fcmr.forestry.ca
> 'phone (506) 452-3523
> FAX    (506) 452-3525

Actually what you probably have there is an undescribed Hyppa sp.  The
reason the Hyppa is undescribed is this. The species with long
pectinations on the male antenna (2 X as long as the central shaft)
that occurs through the US and into southern Canada is called Hyppa
xylinoides.  The species with short antennal serrations (1 X as wide as
the central shaft) that occurs widely across Canada has been called
Hyppa  ancocisconensis.  A few years ago Franclemont found the original
type specimen of ancocisconensis and it turned out to be a specimen of
xylinoides so the species is without a name.  Doug Ferguson is suppose
to be revising Hyppa (for 10 years now) and will put a name on it if it
ever gets done.  The larvae feeds on cranberry (Vaccinum sp.) and st.
johns wort (Hypericum sp.).  I hope this helps,
Jason