direct scanning of bugs

Chris Schmidt schmidt at odum.biology.ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 23 18:33:38 EDT 1997

----------
From: 	Chris Schmidt[SMTP:schmidt at odum.biology.ualberta.ca]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 23, 1997 2:45 PM
To: 	'L-Soft list server at YALEVM (1.8b)'
Subject: 	FW: direct scanning of bugs

----------
From: 	Chris Schmidt[SMTP:schmidt at odum.biology.ualberta.ca]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 23, 1997 10:06 AM
To: 	LEPS-L at lists.yale.edu.nntprelay.mathworks.com!news-peer.gsl.net!news.gsl.net!gip.net!portc01.blue.ao.l.com!audrey01.news.aol.com!not-for-mail
Subject: 	RE: direct scanning of bugs

I also tried the direct scanning of pinned specimens, with very good results. Ken Phillip mentioned de-pinning specimens to get around the 'image brightness' problem, but the following also works great: Just put the pinned specimen on a piece of styrofoam, with  pins in the corner of the foam to act as supports once you turn everything upside down. This allows you to add some additional lighting...microscope lights work great.
 Thanks for the idea!

Heres some results (Grammia virgo):