Monarch transfers and releases (fwd)

Dr. James Adams JADAMS at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Sat Sep 27 15:14:18 EDT 1997

Dear listsers,

    Gee, Harry, I find I agree with just about everything you said in
this case, and find you were posting a message with similar
sentiments to mine at virtually the same time.  (Still got a problem
with that "LOWER" organisms thing, but I can tell your having fun
with it now!)

> Some people are forgetting that the average public knows or cares little
> about Monarchs or LOWER organisms.  Events like Monarch releases are supposed
> to spur public awareness and action.  I am truly sorry to hear that the
> releases spoiled migratory studies in the northwest, but perhaps future
> sources of Monarchs can be obtained locally.  Of course, though, we all heard
> that reared Monarchs are as deadly as the plague and artificially boost local
> populations.  Why not say the heck with it all and just let the butterflies
> continue die out because of man's continued destruction of nature.
>
> Considering all the pros and cons that have been debated into the ground,
> nobody's mind has been changed.
>
> So let's try to get on with life and try to accomodate each other somehow.
>  Unfortunately, the USDA is trying to fix a problem before it's even defined,
> studied, or documented.  Soon, USDA will make it illegal to even send dead,
> dried insects across state lines....if USFWS doesn't beat them to it.

Isn't it ironic that seeds for all sorts of non-native garden plants
can be bought and grown with what appears to be virtually no
regulation whatsoever.  If we are concerned about "natural" records
of butterflies, you must agree that the planting of non-native lep
foodplants could ultimately lead to the establishment of new
"natural" populations of leps in areas where they were not found
historically?  Did I stir up any other replies with this statement?

James Adams

P.S.  I'm sort of enjoying being inflammatory!