On anti-commercial bias

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Sun Sep 28 12:59:05 EDT 1997

Ed Rooney wrote:

> In article <19970925032000.XAA22120 at ladder02.news.aol.com>,
> timjcathym at aol.com (TIMJCATHYM) wrote:
>
> > I find it strange, this bias against "commercialization" of the insect
> > business. (Big  Snip)    Amazingly this bias existed
> > 150 years ago.  Alfred Wallace was a poor scientist that supported his work
> > by selling specimens,  Darwin was a heir.  Look who got credit for the
> > discovery of natural selection.
> >
> > Tim McNary
>
>      Tim, you have a very good point about the bias against
> commercialization, as if anything done for profit is automatically suspect
> and to be shunned.  (A bias I carry myself occasionally, I'll admit)
> snip
>       Ed Rooney
> --
>
> The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

OK, guys, we have a problem here. And the problem is that Ed has
innocently reposted a letter, truncated, that we haven't all  seen.
This has happened because they've changed the Leps list so that replies
to postings go to the perpetrator; not to the list.
I hate to think how many messages we will get once people figure this
out, particularly with the amount of acrimony floating around.
 Under the old order, we'd all have seen Tim's letter, and we wouldn't
care to see his arguments again.
I'd like to address his points, because it's a subject that concerns me
deeply.
Does commercialization of the butterfly mean enclosed rooms in which
butterflies are artificially reared and then sold to release at weddings
and funerals? Because I hate that. (Well, I wouldn't mind so much if
they really did it at funerals. I made that up.)
Does it mean butterfly farms where outdoor plantings of native
vegetation (or preserved jungle or meadow) produce many caterpillars of
which some are matured in screenrooms, killed and sold as objets d'art?
Yup, I think that's a great idea. fine, sustainable use of natural
areas; man just another predator.
I eat meat; I kill lots of bugs; many people kill bugs for a living;
what's the big deal? And if bugs are worth something, maybe people will
let them live.
Then there's a huge gray area in between, where nice people pass a few
bugs to a friend who has the plants but not the bugs. the Atala
butterfly (Eumaeus atala) is sustained in this manner. And must be,
because, in the absence of natural predators, it eats its food plant to
death.
But should we be giving each other polydamas swallowtail, black
swallowtail, white peacocks?  ... and what about a friend of mine who
sees no reason why the pipevine swallowtail shouldn't exist in Palm
Beach County ... any reason he shouldn't bring some down from North
Florida (not needing any permits from the USDA) and try to establish
them here?
I think it's wrong. But it's fun, it's pretty innocent, they're all nice
people, what harm can it do ...
I tried to touch up a photo with my nice photo program for the first
time today. It's pretty bad, and every time I try to fix it, I make it
worse.
That's how I feel about our efforts to fix nature.
I did save the original.
Oh well.
Anne Kilmer
South Florida