Releases and vagrants

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 29 14:57:34 EDT 1997

To echo Ken Philips.....

In New Jersey the Giant Swallowtail and Zebra Swallowtail were formerly
residents (at least marginally).  There are now no known colonies of
either.  However, the former is recorded every few years.  Both are
sold for raising and releasing by at least one vendor in the
State. It would be a tossup whether a record was a legitimate wanderer
or a local release.  These are sold not only to schools but to
individual families at garden shows, etc, so it wouldn't be easy to
track them down.

Of course one could legitimately ask whether the benefits from
turning-on some school children to butterfly life cycles might outweigh
our need to establish the origin of a vagrant.

We also have some recent records of southern vagrants (Julia) which
started shortly after the opening of the excellent BUTTERFLY WORLD at
the nearby Bronx Zoo.  Is this coincidence or did someone keep a door
open too long?

M. Gochfeld