Butterfly - how did the name originate

Graham Dixon Troubleatmill at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 11 05:23:37 EDT 1998

The MITCHELL BEAZLEY GUIDE TO BUTTERFLIES OF BRITAIN & EUROPE
Suggests that the term butterfly originated fron the BRIMSTONE (Gonepteryx
rhamni) being known as the 'butter coloured fly' which was contracted to
butterfly.

The KINGFISHER GUIDE TO BUTTERFLIES of BRITAIN & EUROPE suggests that the
name originated due to the 'buttery' feel of the scales on the wings.

Personally I would go for the Brimstone theory, I have seen it referred to
somewhere else too but cannot just recall where.

Whilst on the newsgroup, can I send best wishes to all "Lep types" in
Northern Ireland and I hope that the "Peace Deal" works.

Graham Dixon