Butterflies near Monterrey, Mexico

Andres M. Sada asada at infosel.net.mx
Mon Apr 13 14:21:30 EDT 1998

For those who may butterfly near Monterrey, Mexico, the following may be of
interest.

Saturday March 28, 1998, a group visited Parque La Estanzuela. We started
about 9:00 AM and
were only there till noon.

The following note, with some editing by me, was prepared by Alida
Madero-Enkerlin:

The Park is located just south of the city of Monterrey, west of highway
85, taking Camino a Valle
Alto towards Valle Alto golf course. Before the Valle Alto entrance, there
is a sign to La Estanzuela Natural Park to the left.  From there, the road
is about 2 miles to the park entrance.  The fee is only $2.00 pesos per
person (about 0.25 US).

The day was clear, wind calm, and temperature between 20 and 24 centigrades.
>From 9:00 till noon, we saw the following:
Pipevine Swallowtail    (Battus philenor)
Palamedes Swallowtail   (Pterourus palamedes)
Giant Swallowtail       (Heraclides cresphontes)
Swallowtail sp.   (Papilio abderus/garamas)
Southern Dogface        (Zerene cesonia)
Large Orange Sulphur    (Phoebis agarithe)
Mexican Yellow  (Eurema mexicana)
Mimosa Yellow   (Eurema nise)
Dainty Sulphur  (Nathalis iole)
Dusky-blue Hairstreak   (Calycopis isobeon)
Marine Blue     (Leptotes marina)
Reakirt's Blue  (Hemiargus isola)
Spring Azure    (Celastrina ladon)
Mexican Silver-spotted Fritillary       (Dione Moneta)
Mexican Fritillary      (Euptoieta hegesia)
Variegated Fritillary   (Dione vanillae)
Texan Crescent  (Anthanassa texana)
Red Admiral     (Vanessa atalanta)
California Sister       (Adelpha bredowii)
Mexican Sister  (Adelpha fessonia)
Leaf Wing (Anaea troglodytes aidea)
Goatweed Butterfly (Anaea andria)
Gemmed Satyr    (Cyllopsis gemma)
Monarch         (Danaus plexippus)
Rainbow (Urania)  Skipper (Phocides urania)
White-stripped Longtail (Chiodes catillus)
Golden-banded Skipper   (Autochton cellus)
Sickle-winged Skipper    (Achlyodes mithridates)
Mournful Duskywing      (Erynnis tristis)
Common-checkered Skipper        (Pyrgus communis)
Scalloped Sootywing     (Staphylus hayhurstii)
False Duskywing         (Gesta gesta)

I wrote the list from field notes taken by myself and other club member.  As
I don't have much experience, I hope that you find it correct.  Best regards
from "Papalotl" Butterfly watching club.
Alida

Alida Madero-Enkerlin
Andromeda 258 Col. Contry
CP 64860 Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
Tel/Fax: 52(8)349-1994
E-mail: amadero at sdm.net.mx

Saludos

Andres M. Sada                          asada at infosel.net.mx
Apartado 711                           phone 52 8 368 0168/9
Garza Garcia, N.L. 66220               fax   52 8 368 0166
Mexico