moth i.d. Ohio

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Thu Aug 13 09:34:03 EDT 1998

> This moth ? kept its wings spread when at rest. It was huge, at least 6 inches
>across (I am really trying hard not to exaggerate, I want to say 7 or 8) and
>was black except for bright yellow dashes outlining its wings. When it flew,
>the bottom part of its wings folded up like a butterfly's at rest, and it flew
>with just its two front wings.

Is it *possible* that this was a male Promethea moth? It's fairly big, the
background color can be almost black, and there are light yellow-brown wing
margins. I have a real hard time imagining any other native moths that
might fit that description.

Peace,

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 031-449-2579, fax: 031-441-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/