U.S. Butterfly ( & Moth) Lists/New BF Books

Paul Opler Paul_Opler at usgs.gov
Mon Aug 17 14:16:00 EDT 1998

     Hi Gary,

     Plans are to include Canadian distributions as well.

     Cheers,

     Paul

Subject: Re: U.S. Butterfly ( & Moth) Lists/New BF Books
Author:  gganweiler at sprint.ca at NBS-Internet-Gateway
Date:    8/1/98 6:43 PM

The USGS site is a GREAT resource - and will only get better as time goes
on and material is added - and anyone who has attempted to do something
like this even at the local level must know what a massive job it is.

Being a Moth ( mainly noctuid) fanatic - I checked out some of the data for
that group only.  The first time I have seen a number of species
illustrated anywhere (thanks Paul !)  The maps are a great start, but show
only what has been compliled, and in many cases are very far from accurate
(i.e. show only a fraction of the published ranges) for showing the known
ranges - but a start !!

I have only one burr in my butt.  The site is called Moths of North America
- but completely ignores both Canada and Mexico (not to mention Alaska,
Hawaii etc.).  And you "Americans" wonder why you are sometimes percieved
as a touch arrogant !!!

Bottom line -thanks to all the people who contribute to the project - and
please carry on!  A huge job, but if it continues to evolve it will be a
priceless resource.  Hope I will be able to contribute more myself in
future.

Gary Anweiler, a proud "Canajun"