Can you i.d.?

speakergirl at webtv.net speakergirl at webtv.net
Sat Aug 29 19:15:23 EDT 1998

This creature was found yesterday on a sycamore tree in Pennsylvania.
Caterpillar less than one inch in length, rusty brown color, lighter
yellowish underneath.

Not shaped like your average caterpillar, but rather chevron sort of
shaped, like a spade or a stealth bomber or something. Has these
feathery protrusions that give it this shape.

Someone gave it to me, but gave me no leaves, so I searched all
afternoon for a sycamore tree, found none. Offered every other type of
leave, but he won't touch 'em.

Now, those protrusions have all fallen off and it looks like he's about
to form some sort of cocoon or chrysalis. His shape now is almost like a
sow bug or pill bug.

Anybody know what he is? Also, could he be beginning metamorphosis
earlier than if he'd had a good food supply?

Sue