Query re Plumed Prominent (Ptilophora plumigera) distribution

Chris Raper triocomp at dial.pipex.com
Tue Dec 1 08:46:17 EST 1998

On 30 Nov 1998 08:22:32 -0800, tony.aw.prichard at bt.com
(Prichard,AW,NAR7 PRICHAA2 M) wrote:

>The Plumed Prominent (Ptilophora plumigera) occurs in Suffolk (UK) but seems
>restricted in the locations it is recorded from. We have searched (light
>trapped) for it around the county in places where there appears to be plenty
>of its foodplant but it seems to be restricted to those areas where the
>foodplant is growing on a chalky soil. Has anybody else had this experience
>of the moth being restricted to chalky areas?

Hi Tony,

I trap very regularly at one site but have limited experience of a few
others. The only place I have seen Plumed Prom. is on a BBONT nature
reserve near Bix, Henley, Oxon. There is seems very common in
October/November for a short flight period - you often get them coming
to windows in the evening.

I think it is probably true that they are restricted in range (isn't
their foodplant Field Maple?) but it may also be because they have a
short flight period and so few people trap in October/November that
small populations just aren't being picked up.

Just a few thoughts... hope that helps
Chris R.