Alaska Counties

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Sat Dec 5 15:54:59 EST 1998

	I would like to support Hans in Juneau with his comment that in
Alaska biologists use the 1:250,000 USGS quads instead of counties. There
are 153 of these quads for the state--a number quite comparable to the
number of counties in some states. Since most of Alaska does not have
boroughs (which tend to occur in populated areas), and since there are
no counties, these quads are the _only_ system which covers the entire
state.

	Many biologists in Alaska also use latitude/longitude for all their
data. With one of the available computer mapping programs (I use Range-
Mapper) one can then instantly map one's data onto the state.

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu