Gulf Fritillaries and strange oviposition

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Dec 7 17:40:49 EST 1998

I was watching a Eurema lisa yesterday near Corpus Christi, TX, ovipositing
on bare ground.  I presume that there is plenty of hostplant still
available, but apparently a small exploration period for the larva is
considered acceptable.  Or maybe the butterfly is taking the potential rainy
season growth of the hostplant into account.  Pretty cool in either case.

Mark Walker
visiting Houston, TX   USA