DK Nymphalis antiopa update

Morten Dewald Drøgemüller Hansen dd at imf.au.dk
Wed Dec 9 06:34:43 EST 1998

Hi LEPS-netters

My first message dealing with the population crash of the Camberwell
Beauty / Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa) in Denmark was a bit too
pessimistic. The species HAS declined dramatically in Denmark due to our
very cold summer but in the driest and most sunny areas in Denmark the
species has persisted, though in low numbers.

I believe that the distribution of N. antiopa depends much more on dry,
hot summers than it does on dry, cold winters. If there isn't enough
sunshine, the larval and pupal development will be delayed and the species
won't be ready to overwinter...?

Any comments, please?

kind regards
Morten DD Hansen