Further notes on the Small Tortoiseshell

Jorricks jorricks at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 12:21:52 EST 1998

Sorry about forgetting to give the location. We live in County Durham UK on the
east side of the Pennines. We are at a height of 600 ft above sea level.

Aglais unticae is certainly not scarce in this area but it is most unusual for
us to see one at this time of year. We cannot think of what disturbed the
hibernation.

We also note that depending on the weather this species can be double or single
brooded. After a very cold spring and damp early summer we would susoect that
this specimin may be from a late single brood.

Most butterflies in our garden appeared to be late this year. There were a
number of Commas, Polygonia c-album, feeding on fallen plums in mid October.

Thanks to all who responded.

'Unting is all that's worth living for ...., it is like the hair we breathe -
if we have it not we die - it's the sport of kings, the image of war without
its guilt, and only five-and-twenty per cent of its danger.