Early Peacock

Andrew Wood AndrewGWood at compuserve.com
Sat Jan 10 15:02:38 EST 1998

Michael Healey wrote:

I saw a Peacock (Inachis io) today (Jan 10th) at Holcroft Springs near
Harpenden, Herts, TL148165.  Bright sunshine all day, no wind, very mild.
This is earlier than the record in Brian Sawford' s book, but with this
weather there must be other ones.
Michael Healy

A bit further east in Herts I, too, saw a Peacock at Waterford Marsh
(TL314148) and an unidentified Nypmphalid flying too high for positive id
at Hartham Common, Hertford (TL328133).  As Michael says with this weather
there will be quite a few insects coming prematurely out of hibertation.
Not too many I hope as this is undoubledly a false spring in the UK.

Andrew Wood