sense of hearing

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Sun Jan 25 11:38:46 EST 1998

Andrea Hoffmann wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> i've read in one of my books that certain families of butterflies have a
> sense of hearing and they can even pick up ultrasound.
>
> i'd now like to know which families have this sense of hearing? and is
> there any literature that deals with the butterflies' senses? or any other
> pointers on this topic?
>
> i've got quite a number of books here but none of them elaborates on that
> topic.

Hi Andrea,

Get hold of a copy of "The Lepidoptera: form, function and diversity" by
M.J.Scoble (1992), published by the Natural History Museum, London. This
is a VERY useful textbook for anyone interested in the structure of
Lepidopteran bodies.
There is a whole section on tympanal structures ("ears"). I don't know
which butterfly families you're refering to, but I do know that many
moths also hear - Noctuidae, Arctiidae, Geometridae and Pyralidae for
starters (plus a few more).

Hope this helps,

Roger.
Roger C. KENDRICK   B.Sc.(Hons.)
PhD student & Demonstrator, Dept of Ecology & Biodiversity
The University of Hong Kong
mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm   « Hong Kong Moths »
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/1085/   « H.K. Lepidoptera
Group »
mail: Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre
      The University of Hong Kong
      Lam Kam Road, Shek Kong,
      Yuen Long, New Territories
      Hong Kong