call for checkerspot butterflies

Niklas Wahlberg niklas.wahlberg at Helsinki.FI
Fri Jan 30 10:26:47 EST 1998

Hello,
   I'm a PhD student at the University of Helsinki and am building a
phylogeny of the tribe Melitaeini as a part of my PhD project. I am doing
this using mitochondrial DNA sequences. So far I have sequenced 17 species
and the results look good. The only problem is that the species I have
sequenced are mainly from Europe, while the checkerspot tribe is Holarctic.
I would be extremely grateful to anybody who can send me material from
outside Europe. The genera I am interested in are Melitaea, Mellicta,
Hypodryas, and Eurodryas in the Palearctic, and Chlosyne, Phyciodes,
Euphydryas, Poladryas, Microtia, Dymasia, and Texola in the Americas.
   I have tried to extract DNA from museum samples without success. But I
have been successful with dried specimens under a year old, provided they
have not been resoftened for setting. Basically, all I need are the legs of
a dried butterfly, but I would prefer to receive whole individuals (the
extraction is more sure that way). If anybody is able to help me out,
please contact me personally.

Thanks,
Niklas Wahlberg

*   Niklas Wahlberg                          *
*   Department of Ecology and Systematics    *
*   Division of Population Biology           *
*   PO Box 17 (Arkadiankatu 7)               *
*   00014 University of Helsinki             *
*   p. +358-9-191 7378, fax +358-9-191 7492  *
* Check out our www-site:                    *
*  http://www.helsinki.fi/science/metapop/   *