Help;Polyphemus,Citheronia

Chuck Vaughn aa6g at aa6g.org
Fri Jul 3 10:54:11 EDT 1998

>I live outside Detroit, Michigan. I had a female Polyphemus emerge in May. It
>attracted a wild male and had a successful mating. The female was a second
>brood specimen from a southern location. I am wondering if Polyphemus in double
>brooded in my area.

The answer to your question may not be a simple yes or no.

I raised polyphemus a couple years ago here in the San Francisco Bay area
and I found they had every combination of broods possible. The first mating
occurred in May and from that I had single, double and even a few triple
brooded moths. The last hatched and mated in September. I gave those eggs
away. It seemed they just kept going as long as the weather was warm enough.
The following year moths from the three broods hatched anywhere from April
through June.

Chuck Vaughn  <aa6g at aa6g.org>