No subject

gordon.ramel gordon.ramel at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 17 03:38:18 EDT 1998

Can anybody help louise with this??  The only thing I can think of is an Elephant Hawk Moth

Yesterday in my garden (warm, walled, central Bedford, edge of the fens
etc.) I saw a small to middling sized butterfly or moth, with the front
wings a bright pinkish sort of red and the back wings solid black. There
were absolutely no other discernible markings, spots etc (witnessed in
flight, anyway).   It flew a bit like a moth so I wondered if it could
be a burnet. Closest I can find in my book is zygaena osterodensis, but
this is far too patterned and isn't supposed to be in this country (does
it know??).  Other possibility is a scarlet tiger, but again this is too
patterned and more red than pink.

Any ideas?  The shock of seeing it took my breath away!

I'd be delighted if you could help.
Regards,
Louise Cuzner   louise.c at virgin.net