unknown spider/insect bit

Hiram hiram at qcislands.net.nospam
Mon Jul 20 11:49:55 EDT 1998

I work at a small community hospital in NW Canada, on the Queen Charlotte
Islands.  About ten days ago one of our nurses who lives on an island about
ten minutes from town got (assumtion) bitten by an unknown insect/spider.
The symptoms and effect of that bite are, from our limited knowledge,
classic of a "brown recluse" spider, but this spider is not known here and
all the info I've seen indicates that it is only found in the southern
mid-west of USA.  I know of no other insect/spider here which results in
that kind of a bite, though I an unfamiliar with centipede or millipede
bites.
My quiery is this;  does anyone out there know of a place I can find a list
of the commonly found poisonous insects/spiders and etc found in the NW
coastal areas of Canada?  And, does anyone know if a brown recluse could
have hitch-hiked in and lived long enough to multiply here?  Anyone know of
any here that could cause the same kind of reaction?
Here, if you are interested, is a description of the wound;
Unknown, unseen agent of the bite
12 to 24 hours later, started as a mild irritation, progressed to a blister
surrounded by a "bruise", progressed to a debillitating large lesion on her
leg, now ten days later she is still on crutches but beginning to feel
better.  As an aside, this nurse has not been seen by us, only the wound
reported.  She refuses to "bother" her peers with her little problem.
Damn, women are tough.  No man would have put up with that.

Baxter "Festus" RN