Lack of butterflies

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Tue Jul 21 12:25:50 EDT 1998

Liz Day wrote:

> > One last comment...it seems to me that the viceroy's coloration would become a
> > liability when there are no monarchs around.  Wouldn't its bright color just
> > attract attention from birds who haven't had the chance to learn how nasty
> > monarchs taste?
>
> Apparently many viceroys taste nasty too.  Formerly they were supposed to
> be harmless but now I hear they are inedible just like the monarchs.
>
> Liz Day
> LDAY at iquest.net
> Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA - 40 N latitude, zone 5.

I think there's a lot more Mullerian than Batesian mimicry, if you get
right down to it. Sadly, few people go around tasting butterflies like
your friend.
As willows, and the other trees they feed on, also alter the degree of
toxin in the leaves in response to feeding, those caterpillars who were
laid first will be fairly tasty. Their younger brothers will be ranker,
and the next generation may not make it.
	If something flies around slowly looking brightly colored,
children, don't eat it. If when it sits down it looks like a lovely leaf
or flower,  try it on the dog.
	Are some of you guys out there investigating caterpillar
toxicity, or is there no money in that? I cannot believe that the
passiflora butterflies are not poisonous.
The gulf fritillary, by the way, passes for a Monarch pretty well.
Anne Kilmer
south Florida