collecting in Costa Rica

AlTrue at aol.com AlTrue at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 23:06:02 EDT 1998

Greetings:

     I was referred to you by the Hong Kong Lep page.  I have a questions
about the legality of collecting a small number of insects (primarily Leps and
Hymenoptera) in Costa Rica during an upcoming vacation.  I have access to some
private land, but would also like to be free to collect along roadsides.  No
park collecting, of course, as I understand that those areas are strictly
protected and I do not want to break any rules.  But are the areas I have in
mind permissable?  And is it okay to bring a few deceased insects into the
states without a huge customs hassle?
     Thanks a million for any help.  I have been asking these questions many
places and so far no good answers.

Regards,
Rick Mosher