NATURE WALK - KEEP IT!!

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Mon Jun 1 09:41:25 EDT 1998

Listers,

      We all probably can give numerous accounts of places we once
visited that are no longer viable for insects, other than lawn pests,
etc.  When I was growing up in Liberty, Missouri, I frequently
visited the grounds of William Jewell College, as there were some
nice, semi-natural areas on the campus grounds where I could look for
butterflies.  I collected my first Henry's Elfins (Incisalia henrici),
my first Harvesters (Feniseca tarquinius) and American Coppers
(Lycaena phlaes) at various places on campus.  The field where I
caught the coppers is now a baseball diamond, the little grove of
trees with trails where I caught the harvesters is now a nice
mown-grass hillside, and the areas where I caught the Henry's Elfins
are mostly cleared.  My mom reports only an occasional Henry's Elfin
can be seen anymore.  As I said, this is one of many such experiences
I can relate, and I feel a loss every time a favorite area is altered
in the name of progress.

         Sigh.

               James