When do frittilaries start coming, and where?

HeinzeDJAK heinzedjak at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 11:23:51 EDT 1998

Well, depending on where you are, they may be there already and just not found
your plant yet.  Gulf frittilaries tend to lay their eggs on the uppersides of
the leaf, or on the little green things that twist around what the plant is
growing up.  I am in Houston, TX, and the gulfs have been here for a couple
months.  The variegated frittilary lays her eggs more often on wild flax than
on passion vine (around here, atleast), but the few times I have found them on
passion vine, the eggs are on the underside, and reasonably smaller that gulf
eggs.
     Depending on how many native passion vine plants are out, sometimes a
female will lots and LOTS of eggs on your plant - that tends to happen around
here in the late summer, when we have had almost no rain and the native passion
vines are not suitable hosts.
     Larvae will (unless in very early stages, and not very often then) be on
the undersides of the leaves.
     Just keep your eyes open!

Hope this helps,
Dar