Brazilian Microlep help

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Thu Jun 18 09:17:51 EDT 1998

>Just an idea: the biology sounds like that of many Galleriinae
>(Pyralidae).
>Many species live as commensals/parasites of Hymenoptera nests, and many
>species make webs at the ground level as larvae.

I forgot to say that these are associated with carpenter bee tunnels, NOT
nests of social bees, like Galleriinae are found with. I also do have a
good feel for what Pyralids look like, including Galleria, and this doesn't
look like one at all - more like an Oecophorid or Tortricid. I will check,
however, to see if I can see any of the structures you mentioned.

Thanks,

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 031-449-2579, fax: 031-441-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/