rearing of chalcedon checkerspots

Laurel Godley godley at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 23 16:30:04 EDT 1998

Good afternoon!  I'm looking for specific information on rearing of
chalcedon checkerspots.  Does anybody out there have any expertise with
checkerspots or could refer me?

Specifically, I had found wild caterpillars on monkey flower sometime
ago on the east slope of the Santa Cruz Mnts, in San Jose, CA.  The
caterpillars successfully became adults which laid several hundred eggs.
However that was nearly 14 days ago and none have hatched.  I know they
may not be fertile but the eggs are still healthy and plump looking.

The only reference I have is the National Audubon Society filed guide.
It says they only brood once per year and caterpillars over winter.
However there are no references to egg duration or any special
requirements.  I know vaguely from research in this area that bay
checkerspots have very specific requirements for temp, sunlight etc.  So
I am wondering if chalcedons are quite fussy as well.  Perhaps the eggs
are just not warm enough (in my apt) to hatch.  Any thoughts would be
most welcome as I would hate to lose the whole lot.

Thanks!  Laurel