I've been wondering...

Paul Johnson pcj at christa.unh.edu
Tue Jun 30 15:57:55 EDT 1998

George L Smyth wrote:

> I have always wondered why moths are attracted to light.  Can anyone tell me?
> Thank you to anyone that can help.
>         Katie
> --
>
> Handmade Photographic Images
> http://www2.ari.net/glsmyth/

	Actually, in spite of the evidence of our eyes, most moths are
not attracted to light, but they do navigate by light sources (moon and
stars would be the natural sources for a moth flying at night).  the
phenomenon is called a "light compass," and invovles flying at a constant
angle to a very distant light source in order to maintain a straight
flight path.  When the source is nearby (such as our porch lights), they
spiral into the light as they constantly adjust their angle of flight.
	They eventually arrive, somewhat confused, in the vicinity of the
light source.

Paul

--
Paul C. Johnson               |  "Be sure you're right,
Natural Resources Department  |  then look again."