Standardized Butterfly Names

Wanda Dameron be496 at lafn.org
Sat Mar 28 14:40:35 EST 1998

> Sounds like some select phrases were taken out of context, negatively, too harshly or perhaps personally!   That was NOT my intent.
>
> As a "johnny-come-lately" and author of "Searching for Butterflies in
> Southern California" and a dozen personal "cut and paste" guidebooks,
> including 2 for portions of Mexico, I have the greatest respect for all
> the research and study the "old-timers" have accomplished and puzzles
> they continue to unravel, along with the great need for standardized
> scientific names. The scientific and common names, along with J.
> Miller's wonderful cross reference in "Common Names of North America,"
> helped solve a number of riddles.  I use both in my books, following the NABA procedure of when there isn't a common name, to form one by using the species name along with the common family name, i.e. Adelpha phylaca=Phylaca Sister.  This provides easy communication with the novice and collector alike on our butterfly trips.

	Strongly agree that would love to see  a representative group of the
world lepodopterists set up standard scientific names and rather imagine
they will in time.   At the same  time, I'm rooting for popularizing
butterflies to promote the recognition of needing to conserve habitat.
Common names can help tremendously in that educational process.  Writers
and the public alike  tend to really turn off with scientific names, but
articles on the El Segundo or Palos Verdes Blues help many understand
the problems and consolidate public opinion in helping to protect areas.

>         While a member of the Lep Society, mainly due to geography I am more active in the local NABA  chapter (butterflies thru binocular approach) and the Lorquin Society (mostly collectors).   Those of us with binoculars know how to ID  butterflies largely because of the collectors, but we're also learning some new  "field marks," often having to do with the soft parts that may change color or dehydrate and don't show up in a specimen.
>
>         There is some cross-over of NABA & Lorquin members and of course, some humorous verbal jousting back and forth among the participants.   For the most  part, we recognize the attributes of both sides and usually work together on butterfly projects, counts, etc. quite well.  i.e. We're in  the process of putting together data on butterflies to be used  via the L.A. Co. Museum and in forthcoming publications.
>
>         When using scientific names, greatly appreciate the utilization of the current one--not the one learned 30 or so years ago as a kid.  For
> whatever it's worth, in something written by either Pyle or Opler, it
> was noted that a Monarch has always been a Monarch, but has had over 70
> scientific names.......
>
>         So, let's work together, leaning on whatever strengths are available to  accomplish mutual goals.  This, of course, is in addition to the fun and  mental stimulation of learning about butterflies!
>
>                         Cheers,  Wanda Dameron
>                                  Flutterby Press
>                                  (So. Cal. Butterfly book, checklists,                                    etc. including name translations--
				   common & scientific--of various U.S. 				   butterfly books.)