Standardized Butterfly Names

Dr. James Adams jadams at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Mon Mar 30 10:40:34 EST 1998

Dear listers,

         As I have been cruising through the messages that built up
from a few days off for parenting duties, I have been following the
interesting thread, and replied once already, about the common name/
scientific name debate.  I feel a need to add just a little more.

         As I said, I prefer the use of scientific names, though have
no problem with common names.  I also do *not* consider myself an old
timer (and hopefully, at my current age of 37, most of you would not
consider me so, either), just an avid lepidopterist with an insatiable
appetite for useful information.  Both names have their use, both
collecting and watching have their utility.  Yes, I have done my
share of collecting in my life, and scientific names have been a must
for helping maintain some sort of order to the specimens collected.
I have also enthusiastically contributed to projects like Jeff
Glassberg's NABA publication that is being thrown around in this
discussion.  There is no reason why both names shouldn't exist -- if
a name has a use, then why not.  But be completely aware that there
will *always* be disagreement no matter what name you use.

            James