no functional mouthparts, short lifespans

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Mon Nov 16 14:42:38 EST 1998

Michelle,

         As adults, there are numerous moth species with no
functional mouthparts (though some species do have certain parts
still visible [labial palps, etc.]).  These include all Giant Silk
Moths (Saturniidae), though they eat so much as larvae that they
frequently last up to two weeks (sometimes more) on the nutrients
they stored up as larvae.  Also in this group is the also large
Great Poplar Sphinx Moth (Pachysphinx modesta/occidentalis).

        As for species living only one to a few days as adults, this
is certainly true for some of the very small moth species, though I
am not as knowledgeable as to which species have functional
mouthparts and which don't.  Yucca moths, for instance, live rarely
more than two days as adults in the lab, and I don't believe they
actually feed on anything during that time, though I believe they do use the
mouthparts to collect Yucca pollen to fertilize the flower in which
they are going to lay their eggs.  Perhaps it is something along
these lines that you read about, Michelle?

         James