Creation of newsgroup uk.rec.lepidoptera

Chris Raper triocomp at dial.pipex.com
Tue Nov 24 06:16:22 EST 1998

On Mon, 23 Nov 98 21:46:08 GMT, Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk (Neil Jones)
wrote:

>In article <73bd2a$kbn$3 at miranda.gmrc.gecm.com>
>           richard.herring at gecm.com "Richard Herring" writes:
[snip]
>> You seem to be suggesting that the creation of a uk.*.lepidoptera group
>> will cause crossposts to the sci.* one and therefore to the gated list.
>> But how likely is that? Surely one of the reasons a uk. group is
>> being proposed is because people want to get away from the international
>> group to a uk-focused one? If so, they won't be crossposting back to
>> the sci. group.

>Firstly I strongly dispute that "People want to get away from the international
>group"
>
>People will crosspost very very often.

Hi Neil,

I think this is one of the most important reasons for _not_ creating
this new group. As the proposed uk.rec group is essentially a sub-set
of  the current group sci.bio.ent.lepidoptera all postings to the uk
group are also relevant to the sci group.

Of course if things are _not_ cross-posted many readers of the sci
group (who will want to read the postings but can't because they get
their information via an email listserver) will miss out on valuable
information.

This coupled with the low volume of traffic to the existing group
would seem to clinch it for me. The only argument against this might
be if the sci group was 'scaring off' potential posters by highly
international or scientific postings - neither of which are true in my
experience.

I suggest that if the proposer does not want to see non-uk postings
they should continue using the current sci group but use the kill
options in their reader more creatively.

Best wishes,
Chris R.