Kill Bugs Fast

Liz Day lday at iquest.net
Thu Oct 1 13:09:27 EDT 1998

> I presume that there has been no problem with leakage of oils in butterflies
> as may occur with many moth species killed by ethyl acetate (sometimes the
> problem does not occur until many years later).

John,

Hold on.  I didn't realize this at all.  Do you mean killed by squirting
or dipping them in ethyl acetate, or by putting them in a jar with e.a.
fumes?  (an e.a. killing jar).

I have dipped bees in e.a. and found the yellow color from their hair
*runs*.  But I'm not aware that just the fumes could ruin a specimen.
This is scary - what have you found?

Liz Day
LDAY at iquest.net
Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA - 40 N latitude, zone 5b.