Population crash of N.antiopa in DK

Daniel & Monica Glaeske daniel.monica.glaeske at sk.sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 2 11:05:46 EDT 1998

Niklas Wahlberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>    I wonder what has hit the nymphalines in Fenno-Scandia? In Finland we
> have had a crash of the small tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae). Nymphalis
> antiopa has not experienced the same however. A. urticae has been one of
> the most common butterflies for the past few years (probably longer), but
> this year I have not seen any and friends of mine have seen only one or two.
>
> Cheers,
> Niklas Wahlberg

Nymphalis (Aglais) milberti, a close relative and presumably ecological
equivalent to urticae, has been very rare here in southwestern,
Saskatchewan Canada - it is usually the most common tortoiseshell.  I
have only seen two all year.  On the other hand, N. antiopa is quite
common, and I've seen N. vau-album around here for the first time.

Daniel