Scientific names of butterflies

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Oct 5 18:41:42 EDT 1998

This is triggered by Mike Kayak's post, specifically regarding the learning or
re-learning of new scientific names for old moths (whose nicknames probably
hadn't changed very much).

When I was in my twenties I was able to memorize the scientific names of North
American birds and quite a few South American birds as well.  It didn't happen
overnight, but followed from years of birding, teaching and research.  But
there came a point where I could do it.

Recently, trying to learn the scientific names of butterflies (in my 50's) has
proven much more difficult.  I really like the sound of Ancyloxypha numitor
better than Least Skipper, but a whole lot of other names ----patterned after
Indian chiefs etc---I find very difficult to hold on to.  Wallengrenia
egeremet, for example, took a lot of work even though it (Northern Broken Dash)
is common in my yard.

There is a substantial literature that even in people who aren't "forgetful',
the ability to do rote learning declines with age.  Either your already full-up
with info, or the synapses simply aren't there.

But the question for those who have tried to learn both is, are butterfly
scientific names intrinsically more difficult than bird scientific names.  Has
anyone had the reverse experience, learning leps early and birds late?

Who in their right mind would coin the term Euptoieta (Variegated Fritillary).
Why aren't their more descriptive names like rubricauda and albicollis?

For those interested, Harry Zirlin published a series of articles in American
Butterflies giving the background for many of the scientific names.

Mike Gochfeld
Name: Michael Gochfeld
E-mail: Michael Gochfeld <gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu>
UMDNJ/RWJMS and EOHSI, Piscataway, NJ