binoculars

Hank Brodkin hankb at theriver.com
Sun Oct 11 10:32:31 EDT 1998

Robert A. Baker wrote:

> The Bausch & Lomb Elites are the best binoculars for butterflies I have seen.
> With the 8x42 model, I can focus on the tips of my shoes. They are,
> unfortunately, very expensive (around $1,000).....

I can second Robert's statement.  You should be able to get a pair for
around $750.00 from Eagle Optics - and they will check them out for you
first if you ask.  They also carry another far cheaper glass called the
Ranger (get the 8X40 model) that can also focus down to about 5 feet.
These work great for butterflies - but if you are going to use them for
birdwatching also you will not be satisfied.
Eagle Optics has an 800 phone number (which I can't locate this moment)
and they also have a web site.
Cheers!
--
		Hank Brodkin