Another Bfly Binoc

Burnetted at aol.com Burnetted at aol.com
Sun Oct 11 22:09:24 EDT 1998

Hi Folks,

I have another suggestion to add to the binocular thread.  I recently
purchased new binoculars to replace my old "butterflying" binocs that some of
you may be interested in.

I have been using Bausch & Lomb 7x Custom Compacts (which focus to 6 ft) for
several years.  They're fine for butterflies, but I have a hard time birding
with them, so tend to bring along my old birding binoculars on outings.  I
often carry a camera, too, so the straps and dangling equipment have been
getting annoying.

I was on a field trip with some butterfly folks, one of whom was using her
large-ish birding binoculars.  They turned out to be 7x Rangers from Eagle
Optics, and I learned that they are made by Celestron.  They were great - easy
to hold, bright, sharp, waterproof, and literally focused on my toes!  Later I
had the opportunity to try the 10x version on a different outing.

I have just purchased the 10x Rangers, and really like them.  They focus about
a foot in front my toes, certainly very respectable for butterflying.  Plus,
they are very satisfying as birding binoculars.  I recently used them in
Belize, and was very impressed. (Unfortunately, they didn't come with a field
guide to the butterflies of Belize, so I don't know what to call the species I
saw.)

I am in no way connected with Celestron nor with Eagle Optics.  I'm just a
satisfied customer.  If anyone would like more details, feel free to e-mail me
directly.

Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC
burnetted at aol.com