black witch

Pierre Zagatti zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Mon Oct 12 04:01:55 EDT 1998

Doug Yanega wrote:

> Actually, I thought the name was _Erebus odorata_, for some reason - but
> maybe I'm behind the times on that. Let's hope they never put it in a
> separate family, since "Ascalaphidae" is already occupied.

Ascalapha odorata (L.) Noctuidae Ophiderinae (or Catocalinae if
we consider Ophiderinae as part of the subfamily Catocalinae).

The genus Ascalapha Hubner is monotypic (synonyms Idechthis and Otosema)
The genus Erebus Latreille comes from Asia and Australia.

All this info can be found in Poole's Lepidopterorum Catalogus (1989)

--
Pierre ZAGATTI
INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/