airtight storage how?

Eric or Pat Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Mon Oct 12 11:45:00 EDT 1998

Jim,

Good suggestion.  Just make sure you keep it away from green
Lepidopterans.  In my experience, the green leps lose color immediately
when close to the vapona-like materials.

I fumigated my collection thoroughly a few years ago, and now I use
nothing.  I just keep the air tight containers closed all the time.
Anthing that comes into the house for the first time, new, goes into a
separate fumigated cabinet, in the basement away from people, for
several months, and then into the main collection where I use no
fumigants.  Since the main collection is near the living areas, I'd
rather sacrifice a few bugs than my health.  The trade-off isn't worth
it.  I inspect the collection from time to time, and so far no pests.

I use the air tight cabinets that Leroy Koehn's company used to make,
and are now made by Viking in Chicago.  They're not cheap, but much
better than several thousand dollars a day for cancer treatments.

Cheers to all,

Eric